What to do with a gift you absolutely hate! (Sorry, not sorry)

What to do with a gift you absolutely hate! (Sorry, not sorry)

pexels-pixabay-264985.jpg

We've all been there... somehow over the course of the year, we have managed to acquire unwanted and unusable gifts that seem to be taking up much needed space in your home. You're genuinely trying to think of ways you can use these gifts but eventually give up. You could resort telling them what you'd like for your birthday or Christmas but feel perhaps that is a conversation you don't really want to have. Well, we have you sorted! Below is a list of ways you can utilise each one of your presents!​

Return it or exchange​

Some people find this one a little distasteful but the whole point of giving is to make the recipient happy right? So, if you’re lucky enough to have been given a gift receipt you’ve pretty much been given the green light to return and exchange the gift for something that you would definitely use and enjoy. So go ahead, trade in those winter socks for a new pair of gloves or a pair of earrings!

1624646267468.jpeg

Regifting​

Regifting, as per my previous article is great (a little controversial) way to repurpose your gifts. I go through all the cons and much more pros regifting has, including going easy on your purse strings and avoid hoarding. You could always add a personal touch by writing them a card or presenting them with flowers to make it more special.

1624645985457.jpeg

Up-cycle or repurpose your gift​

This is when you take something un-usable or by your standards, useless, and upgrading it into a something quite handy. For example, if you have been gifted a book that you cannot bring yourself to read, you could create a trinket box or if you have been gifted a few books you could turn them into plant pots! Not only is this environmentally friendly, it’s a lot of fun but you will have to get your crafting kit out for this one.

pexels-jonathan-borba-3194609.jpg

Donate the gifts to a shelter​

I was given a whole range of beauty gifts in my previous job (which was amazing!) however, they do have a tendency to pile-up and with their looming use-by dates you need to use them so offering them to a women’s shelter was a great way to offload great gifts to people who need it.

pexels-cottonbro-6591164.jpg

Sell it!​

Get yourself on eBay and sell it. It’s quick and easy but make sure you do your research because there are strict guidelines regarding what you can send through the post (e.g. perfumes). Usually, shipping locally is very simple, all you need is bubble wrap and packaging big enough for the item.

pexels-kindel-media-7007180.jpg

Or just tell them!​

If this is a best friend or someone you're in a long term relationship with, it's a little insane to spend 15 years receiving gifts you really don't like. Not to mention, you hate to watch them waste their money! For this to work you need to be close to them enough for this conversation not to be awkward. For example it could go like this, "Honey, you know those necklaces you buy me every year, they're not really my style. However, I love jewellery and this is the kind of thing I like." Simple. I highly doubt they won't appreciate your honesty and probably wished you had told them sooner.

Attachments

• pexels-pixabay-207666.jpg
    pexels-pixabay-207666.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 271
  • 1624645971623.jpeg
    1624645971623.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 801
  • pexels-olya-kobruseva-5556291.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
Last edited by a moderator:

amysonline

I love the idea of regifting!

I've never actually done it with anything except books though. My friend and I are constantly exchanging books we've been given for birthdays etc. that we've read or just couldn't get into (no matter how hard we tried!). It's nice to know a gift we don't like might make someone else happy. 🤗

Great post! Thanks for sharing.

johannacampbell

I wish being able to just tell someone "thanks, but this isn't very me" was more acceptable!

It doesn't mean you're being ungrateful. You could still love the gesture, but then the item has the chance of going to someone else who might really love it.

Enjoyed reading this post 😊

Lyla

What a way to do away with items you don't really want. I mostly never tell the people who gift them to me that I don't like the gifts and just leave them lying around but now I know exactly what to do with them. I can just exchange them or sell on eBay! Thanks for sharing.

RachaelSells

Thanks for the tips :D

I know one of my friends is notorious for regifting presents she doesn't like. lol.

I like the picture of the upcycled trainers on. That's a brilliant idea to make them into a fancy decoration and with the flower inside. :D

Well, the whole purpose of gifting someone is to make them happy. but it's pretty logical to just tell them about your choice.

Not sure if i have gifted someone something that they didn't like. But I'll definitely ask them about their choice. Thanks for reminding us!

I wish being able to just tell someone "thanks, but this isn't very me" was more acceptable!

It doesn't mean you're being ungrateful. You could still love the gesture, but then the item has the chance of going to someone else who might really love it.

Enjoyed reading this post 😊
I totally agree! I wish there was a polite and socially acceptable way to say thank you, I appreciate the gift and the thought that went in behind it but..no thank you 😂 oh the amount of tshirts I wouldn't have if I could just do this haha

Jenny

I've regifted, gave it away, sold it, returned it for a bigger size (tshirt/pants,etc) and I've even donated some of the gifts I've received.

Beth

I've often just kept it for a while and either regift it, or give it away to someone else. I don't like getting gifts that much from people, because they seem to get me stuff I don't need or really want. So I'm often kind, and just say thanks and hold onto it for a while and then give it to a friend or donate it.

I've regifted, gave it away, sold it, returned it for a bigger size (tshirt/pants,etc) and I've even donated some of the gifts I've received.
I love the idea of donating the gifts! I'm definitely going to keep that in mind with the holiday season coming up!

I've often just kept it for a while and either regift it, or give it away to someone else. I don't like getting gifts that much from people, because they seem to get me stuff I don't need or really want. So I'm often kind, and just say thanks and hold onto it for a while and then give it to a friend or donate it.
I totally agree with you beth...sometimes getting gifts can feel like more of a burden than, well, an actual gift. I always just try to keep their good intention in mind :)